3rd EPUAP Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Treatment Masterclass
Hosted by The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Ghent University, Ghent University Hospital, Charité-Universitätsmedizin and the European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel.
Date: 12 – 14 March 2019
Location: The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Chairs of the EPUAP Pressure Ulcer Masterclass 2019:
Prof. Zena Moore, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Prof. Dimitri Beeckman, University Centre for Nursing & Midwifery, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Dr. Jan Kottner, Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charité-Universitätsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Mr. Steven Smet, RN MSc, Clinical nurse specialist Wound care, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
THE MASTERCLASS WILL FOCUS ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS
- Aetiology and biomechanics of pressure ulcers
- Epidemiology, diagnosis and classification
- Prevention (including specific patients populations)
- Treatment (with a focus on complex cases)
- Guidelines and guideline development
- Implementation, quality indicators, quality improvement projects
- Basic principles about research and pressure ulcers (including health economics)
PROGRAMME WILL INCLUDE
- lectures by international renowned pressure ulcer experts
- guided tour in the simulation centre
- complex case discussions
- group work
- networking event
More information can be found here.
STOP PRESSURE ULCERS
In 2018 there will be a Stop Pressure Ulcers to be held on November 15th 2018. The European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel applauds the efforts of such events to bring pressure ulcers to the public, the professionals and our politicians. EPUAP has once again decided to join the Stop Pressure Ulcers to help publicise pressure ulcers. To this end we will continue to provide freely available publicity material on our website.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
- Host educational activities on prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers
- Organise awareness raising events to share information about pressure ulcers
- Reach out to your local community to inform them about pressure ulcers
- Make policy makers aware about pressure ulcers
- Join STOP Pressure Ulcers community on social media
More information can be found here.
Joint EPUAP & EWMA Pressure Ulcer prevention & patient safety advocacy project
EPUAP and The European Wound Management Association (EWMA) are collaborating on a joint engagement in the PU prevention and patient safety agendas at the European level as well as at the national level in selected European countries. The project is currently expected to run for 2 years (1 July 2016 – 30 June 2018).
Patient safety has for some years been high on the European Commission health care agenda. At the EU level as well as at national levels of many European nations, considerable investments have been made by health care authorities to establish organisations and programmes addressing the patient safety agenda.
Looking at the patient safety agenda from a wound care perspective, the topic of Pressure Ulcer (PU) prevention has always been central due to the fact that most PU’s are preventable if the patient is managed correctly by health care staff. Consequently both EPUAP and EWMA have separately been advocating for the prevention of PU’s as a major health care and patient safety issue. Whereas EPUAP, in particular, has strongly supported the annual STOP Pressure Ulcer campaign, EWMA has in collaboration with the Eucomed Advanced Wound Care Sector group earlier engaged in raising attention in the European Parliament and the European Commission in connection with the EU Joint Action on Patient Safety and Quality of Care (PaSQ) programme.
Activities achieved and expected
- An epidemiology overview based on existing European prevalence data is in progress. This is coordinated by Professor Zena Moore with expected presentation at the EPUAP 2017 conference, 20-22 September in Belfast (indsæt hyperlink)
- Consecutive meetings between Professor Lisette Schoonhoven and the chair of OECD Health Care Quality Indicators expert group since November 2016
- Meetings between the project group and selected representatives of the European Commission and Members of the European Parliament, to raise awareness and call for preventive action against the development of PUs in particular.
- Regular publication and dissemination of information and articles about patient safety and PU prevention
- Joint presentations at the annual conferences of EWMA and EPUAP. The first of these took place at the EWMA Amsterdam conference 3-5 May 2017
EPUAP – EWMA Article no. 2 on Patient Safety across Europe: The time to invest in patient safety and pressure ulcer prevention is now!
EPUAP – EWMA Article no. 3 on Patient Safety across Europe: Diabetic Control & Pressure Ulcers – fighting fatal complications and improving quality of life
EPUAP – EWMA Article no. 4 on Patient Safety across Europe: EWMA & EPUAP added-value to OECD efforts
EPUAP – EWMA Article no. 5 on Patient Safety across Europe: The role of pressure ulcers in the fight against antimicrobial resistance
Joint working group
- EPUAP representatives: Prof. Zena Moore (chair), Prof. Lisette Schoonhoven, Prof. Jane Nixon, Dr Jan Kottner
- EWMA representatives: PhD Jose Verdu Soriano (chair), Prof. Andrea Pokorná, Dr Hubert Vuagnat.
Please consult the following resources for further information about the topic of patient safety and pressure ulcer prevention at the European level.
- The Economics of Patient Safety: Strengthening a value-based approach to reducing patient harm at national level. Published by OECD, March 2017. Download at http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/hcqi-patient-safety.htm
For any questions or comments please contact:
- EPUAP secretariat: Adina Markova, firstname.lastname@example.org
- EWMA secretariat: Jan Kristensen, email@example.com
The project is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from: